VINH LONG OUTLAWS
GOLDEN ANNIVERSARY ROUNDUP
Washington D.C. Area
September 18-22, 2014
The VLOA wishes thank Tom & Pat Anderson for all the detailed planning and coordination that went into our 2014 50th Anniversary Roundup. Their constant involvement beginning about 18 months ago and until our final departure on Monday September 22 ensured that this special Roundup included meaningful events, a lot of laughter, some tears, lots of camaraderie between all year-groups, making of new friendships, and most importantly, plans to keep the VLOA alive and ready for the 2016 Roundup in Branson, MO. We also wish to thank Sherry Moore & Carrol Diaz of SLM Events for planning, coordinating, and supervising our Roundup events; they made things happen!
< > < > < > < > < > < > < > < > < > < > < > < > < > < > < > < > < > < > < >
Results of Business Meeting:
- 131 reunion attendees from 31 states & Denmark, including veterans, spouses, widows, & family members
- All year-groups from 1964 thru 1972 were represented except 1967-68
- Great & convenient hotel accommodations by Marriott Tyson's Corner
- Superb arrival & welcome dinner on Thursday evening
- Sold out tickets for 50/50 raffle, raising more than $1200 for VLOA & awarding as much to lucky 6 ticket holders
- Silent Auction opened with more than 100 items on display for bidding & ultimately raised more than $3100 for the VLOA treasury
- Laid wreath at Vietnam Veterans Memorial Wall - read names of 64 Outlaws KIA during 1964 - 1972
- Outstanding lunch at Tutto Bene Italian Restaurant, Arlington, VA
- Visited Arlington National Cemetery & observed the changing of the guard and wreath laying ceremony by the Chief, NATO Air Forces escorted by USAF Chief of Staff at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldiers
- General Membership meeting on Saturday
- Lunch donated by MacDonald's @ Dulles Air & Space Museum
- Toured the Dulles Air & Space Museum and took group photo (see group photo below)
- Lots of free time to "see it on your own"
- Non-denominational religious service conducted by the VLOA Chaplain, Rev. John Doyle on Sunday morning
- Outstanding Farewell Banquet Sunday evening, with U.S. Army Brass Combo providing pre-dinner music, National Anthem, & Taps; Rickie Simpson & Melanie Sollenberger providing dinner music; & Michael the Magician providing entertainment. Outstanding Outlaw Awards were presented to: Bob & Gloria Sharp (newsletter), Jack & Fran Konopka (Silent Auction); Charles Bouton (past Treasurer); Chester Voisin (Treasurer); Angelo Spelios (Past National Director); Frank Estes (Webmaster); & Tom Anderson (Reunion Coordinator). The coveted VLOA Directors' Award was presented to Larry & Polly Jackson for 10 years service as VLOA Secretary.
- Director Tim Tetz (Vietnam Veterans Memorial Fund) briefed on need for photos of veterans KIA in Vietnam for VVMF to display at the Memorial.
- Approved minutes from 2012 Business Meeting
- Treasurer reported the VLOA is on sound financial footing & will remain so after the reunion
- Elected Officers & Directors for 2014 - 2016 (see Membership Page)
- Received reports on Policy Files updates, Constitution and By-Laws updates, Outlaw History update, Newsletter update, & Website update
- Decisions made: Upgrade website to make it compatible with smart-phones (Ernie Isbell's company [Flower Mound Financial Services LLC] will donate funds to pay for $2000 upgrade); 2016 Roundup will be held in Branson, MO; continue sending Outlaw Newsletter to all listed on the VLOA Roster with accurate addresses; send newsletter by email to those who so indicate to the Newsletter Editor; continue VLOA operations & make decision on the VLOA's future during the 2016 Roundup; and added position of Distaff Advisor (Without vote) to the Steering Committee to represent the Associate Members; and, deactivate Quartermaster position for time being.
GO TO GALLERY PAGE FOR MORE REUNION PHOTOS.
CLICK HERE TO SEE WHO ATTENDED THE REUNION THIS YEAR!!!
< > < > < > < > < > < > < > < > < > < > < > < > < > < > < > < > < > < > < > < > < > < > < >
PREVIOUS 2014 REUNION ANNOUNCEMENTS
Come and join the celebration of 50 years of Vinh Long Outlaws history at the Marriott Tyson's Corner hotel in Fairfax, Virginia. Registration fee of $1074 per couple or $792 per single, covers all expenses. Reduced hotel parking rate. Registration fee includes:
Welcome bag with name badge, itinerary, list of attendees and much more!
One-of-a-Kind Commemorative Keepsake Gift
Hospitality Room Stocked with Snacks and Beverages all 4 days
Complimentary breakfast Friday-Saturday-Sunday-Monday
Thursday Welcome Back Dinner
Friday Wreath-laying at the Viet Nam Memorial
Tour of Arlington National Cemetery
Saturday visit to the Huge Dulles Air & Space Museum
Lots of "On-Your-Own" time for Sightseeing
Sunday Evening Farewell Banquet
VIET NAM VETERANS' MEMORIAL
Attendees will gather at "our" memorial to pay tribute both to the members of the Outlaws who were killed in action but to all U.S. service people who were lost in that conflict. A short ceremony will conclude with the laying of a wreath of remembrance at the apex of the memorial.
ARLINGTON NATIONAL CEMETERY
Among the nearly 300,000 burials in Arlington are a number of our fellow Outlaws who are at their eternal rest in this, a national shrine, and the most hallowed ground in our nation. The tour will feature stops at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier and the Kennedy grave site while a narrator will fill in facts about the cemetery itself.
SMITHSONIAN DULLES AIR & SPACE MUSEUM
Among the thousands of aircraft and space artifacts in this huge museum is the B-29 Enola Gay, a Lockheed SR-71, a Concorde, the space shuttle Discovery and a Viet Nam battle-tested UH-1.
Come to the 50th Anniversary Reunion, share old memories, and make new ones ! ! !
Complete the Registration Form on the website (www.vinhlongoutlaws.com or click on the Registration Form below) or for more information, contact:
SLM Events, LLC
6848 Tiddle Way
Lorton, VA 22079
Registration Form Reunion Schedule Shirt Order Form Reunion Shirt
Branson Mini-Reunion 2014